Friday, September 02, 2005

Just Don't Answer the Phone

I really wish our caller ID was hooked up right. I answered the phone today because I thought it might be my mom calling. Well, it wasn't. Some guy was trying to convince me that the government had selected me to get a gernerous grant (about $2,000, i think) and all I had to do was give him my bank info... Oh yeah, sure I'll believe that. He claimed his name was Jack Willson, even though he had a very thick accent and was kinda hard to understand. (I'm sure that was intentional.) He wouldn't andwer my questions, which included:
What criteria does the government use to award this grant money?
Do you have a website I can go to, to make sure yours is a valid company?
How do I know this isn't a fraud?

The answers he gave me were all bogus. He told me he worked for some company called Advantage America, which happens to be a motgage company, and that their hours of operation are Monday- Friday, 9-5 EST. He called me after 6. He must have tried for a good 10 minutes to convince me to give him my info, claiming that the "safest" way for them to give me the money would be by direct deposit. I was like, "That's nice, but I'm not giving YOU my account info." If her were legit, I think he would have given up a lot earlier. Finally, he's like, "I'm not going to force you ma'am. It's your money." Darn right it is. And don't you forget it!

Well, to be honest, it was kinda fun being rude to and arguing with a complete stranger. I hope he gets arrested.

3 comments:

K A R I™ said...

You could have *69ed him. I'm glad you didn't fall for it! I remember a time when a certain little sister gave my phone number out to a wrong number she called and he called me and was a big pervert... Dad even called the police on that guy.

Liz said...

wow- those scam artists are really getting smart. It is amazing what they will try to do. Good for you for telling him off.

TednLisa said...

I am glad you stuck up for yourself